Milan earned his PhD in Computer Science (Artificial Intelligence) at Sorbonne University in Paris in 2012 with highest distinctions (Convergence entre Web Social et Web Sémantique. Application à l’innovation à l’aide du Web).
He authored numerous publications and participated in international research collaborations exploring different Artificial Intelligence topics, mostly the use of Data, Semantic Web and different forms of intelligence in the domains of Travel, Personalization, Human Resources and Innovation. My main focus is getting computers to become smarter companions to humans; going beyond basic reasoning and using user-generated, social media data and knowledge graphs to reach the next level of computer intelligence.
Milan participated in organization of parts of A-Level international conferences in his domain, as a Challenges Coordinator at ESWC 2014 et 2015, and as co-chair of the Making Sense of Microposts Workshop, an event that attracted researchers-participants from all around the world ( in 2011 at ESWC, and from 2012-2015 at WWW – the largest conference dedicated to the Web). In 2018, he was invited to give a keynote speach to the research community at ESWC.
Milan serves as a member of program committees of distinguished intonational conferences such as: World Wide Web / The Web Conference (2017, 2018), International Semantic Web Conference – In Use Track (2011,2012,2013,2014), Web Science Conference (2012), ACM Hypertext and Social Media (2012), Extended Semantic Web Conference (2011,2012,2013,2014), The 7th International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM) 2013, I-SEMANTICS (2009-2014), IADIS Information Systems (2009,2010), Workshop on User Profile Data on the Social Semantic Web (2011), Workshop on Trust and Privacy on the Social and Semantic Web (2010), Interplay between Conceptual Modeling and Human-Computer Interaction (2013)
Here are listed some of the most relevant publications. The whole publication list can be found on the Google Scholar account.
- Lu, C., Stankovic, M., and Laublet, P. Crowdsourced Affinity: A Matter of Fact or Experience Proceedings of the Extended Semantic Web Conference (2017).
- Lu, C., Stankovic, M., and Laublet, P. Desperately searching for travel offers? formulate better queries with some help from linked data Proceedings of the Extended Semantic Web Conference (2015).
- Lu, C., Stankovic, M., and Laublet, P. Leveraging Semantic Web technologies for more relevant E-tourism Behavioral Retargeting Proceedings of the 24th International Conference on World Wide Web (2015).
- Lu, Chun, Philippe Laublet, and Milan Stankovic. Ricochet: Context and Complementarity-Aware, Ontology-based POIs Recommender System. SALAD Workshop, ESWC (2014).
- Matthew Rowe, Milan Stankovic, Aba-Sah Dadzie, Proceedings of the the 4th Workshop on Making Sense of Microposts co-located with the 23rd International World Wide Web Conference (WWW 2014)
- Amparo E Cano, Giuseppe Rizzo, Andrea Varga, Matthew Rowe, Milan Stankovic, Aba-Sah Dadzie, Making Sense of Microposts (# Microposts2014) Named Entity Extraction & Linking Challenge. Making Sense of Microposts (# Microposts2014) (2014).
- Amparo Cano, Matthew Rowe, Milan Stankovic, Aba-Sah Dadzie, Proceedings of the Concept Extraction Challenge at the Workshop on Making Sense of Microposts 2013 (# MSM2013). CEUR Workshop Proceedings.
- Matthew Rowe, Milan Stankovic, Aba-Sah Dadzie, Proceedings of the 2nd Workshop on Making Sense of Microposts (# MSM2012): Big things come in small packages
- Stankovic, M. (2012) Convergence entre Web Social et Web Sémantique: Application à l’innovation à l’aide du Web. Thèse. Université Paris-Sorbonne. (in French)
- Rowe, M., Stankovic, M.,and Alani, H. Who will follow whom? Exploiting Semantics for Link Prediction in Attention-Information Networks In Proceedings of International Semantic Web Conference ISWC 2012, Boston, USA, 11-15 November 2012 (22% acceptance rate)
- Stankovic, M., Rowe, M. and Laublet, P. Finding Co-solvers on Twitter , with a Little Help from Linked Data. In Proceedings of Extended Semantic Web Conference ESWC 2012, May 27-31, Heraklion, Crete, Grece (25% acceptance rate)
- Damljanovic, D., Stankovic, M. and Laublet, P. Linked Data-based Concept Recommendation : Comparison of Different Methods in Open Innovation Scenario. In Proceedings of Extended Semantic Web Conference ESWC 2012, May 27-31, Heraklion, Crete, Grece (25% acceptance rate)
- Stankovic, M., Breitfuss, W., and Laublet, P., Linked-Data Based Suggestion of Relevant Topics. In Proceedings of I-SEMANTICS concerence 2011. Gratz, Austria, 7-9 September 2011.
- Rowe, M. and Stankovic, M. Aligning Tweets with Events: Automation via Semantics. Semantic Web Journal, Special Issue on Real-time and Ubiquitous Social Semantics. 2011. IOS Press
- Stankovic, M., Breitfuss, W., and Laublet, Ph. Discovering Relevant Topics using DBPedia, In Proceedings of WI2011, Lyon, France, August 2011
- Milikic, N., Jovanovic, J. and Stankovic, M. Discovering the Dynamics of Terms’ Semantic Relatedness through Twitter. Making Sense of Microposts Workshop #MSM2011 at Extended Semantic Web Cofnerence ESWC May 30 May 2011, Heraklion, Crete, Greece
- Anadiotis, G., Alexopoulos, Panos., Kafentzis, K., Konstantinou, E., Stankovic, M., and Waeckerle, M. Semantics-powered Virtual Communities and Open Innovation for a Structured Deliberation Process. Workshop on Semantics for Governance and Policy Modelling on the Extened Semantic Web Cofnerence ESWC 2011, 30 May 2011. Heraklion, Greece
- Jesic, D., Kovacevic, J. and Stankovic, M. Web Technologies for Open Innovation. In Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Web Science, ACM WebSci 2011, 14th-16th June, Koblenz, Germany (15% acceptance rate)
- Stankovic, M., Jovanovic, J., and Laublet, P. Linked Data Metrics for Flexible Expert Search on the Open Web. In Proceedings of the 8th Extended Semantic Web Conference (ESWC2011), 29th May – 2nd June 2011, Heraklion, Crete, Greece (23% acceptance rate)
- Stankovic, M., Rowe, M., and Laublet, P. Mapping Tweets to Conference Talks: A Goldmine for Semantics. In Proceedings of the Third Social Data on the Web Workshop SDoW2010, collocated with the International Semantic Web Conference ISWC2010, 8th November, 2010, Shanghai, China pdf
- Anaya, J., Passant, A. and Stankovic, M. Enrichment of affiliation networks and information discovery in SKOS-based datasets. 6th Workshop on Semantic Web Applications and Perspectives (SWAP 2010), September 21-22, 2010, in Bressanone , Italy
- Stankovic, M., Open Innovation and Semantic Web : Problem Solver Search on Linked Data. In Proceedings of International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC) 2010; 7th-11th Novebmer, 2010, Shanghai, China
- Stankovic, M., Wagner, C., Jovanovic, J. and Laublet, P., Looking For Experts? What can Linked Data do for You? In Pre-proceedings of Linked Data on the Web 2010 (LDOW) workshop, within WWW2010 conference; 26th-30th April, 2010, Raleigh, NC, USA
- Passant, A., Breslin, J., Bojars, U., Hastrup, T., Stankovic, M. and Laublet, P. SMOB — A Platform for Open, Semantic and Distributed Microblogging. A poster at Fourth International AAAI Conference on Weblogs and Social Media (ICWSM 2010), 23rd-26th May 2010, Washington, DC, USA
- Stankovic, M., Passant, A. and Laublet, P., Directing Status Messages to their Audiences in Online Communities. In Post-proceedings of Coordination, Organization, Institutions and Norms Workshop (COIN @ MELLOW). Accepted for publication by Springer LCNS. (forthcoming)
- Stankovic, M. Faceted Online Presence – A Semantic Web Approach, Master’s Thesis.
Université Paris-Sud XI, Orsay, France. pdf
- Stankovic, M., Passant, A. and Laublet, P., Directing Status Messages to their Audiences in Online Communities. In Pre-proceedings of Coordination, Organization, Institutions and Norms Workshop (COIN @ MELLOW) 7th–11th September, 2009, Torino, Italy pdf
- Stankovic, M., and Jovanovic, J. TagFusion – A System for Integration and Leveraging of Collaborative Tags, Annals of Information Systems, Special Issue on Semantic Web & Web 2.0. Springer-Verlag, Berlin, Germany, December 2009.
- Stankovic, M., Passant, A. and Laublet, P. Status Messages for the Right Audience with an Ontology-Based Approach. In proceedings of The First International Workshop On
Collaborative Social Networks. CollaborateSN 2009. In conjuction with CollaborateCom 2009 Crystal City, Washington D.C., USA, November 11-14, 2009
- Jovanovic, J., Gasevic, D., Stankovic, M., Jeremic, Z. & Siadaty, M. Online Presence in Adaptive Learning on the Social Semantic Web. Workshop on Social Computing in Education 2009 (WSCE2009) in conjunction with SocialComp’09, August 29-31, 2009, Vancouver, Canada
- Stankovic, M., and Jovanovic, J. Online Presence in Social Networks. In Proceedings of W3C Workshop on the Future of Social Networks, 15-16 January 2009, Barcelona, online pdf
- Milan Stankovic: Modeling Online Presence. In: Proceedings of the First Social Data on the Web Workshop, Karlsruhe, Germany, October 27, 2008, CEUR Workshop Proceedings, ISSN 1613-0073, online pdf
- Stankovic M., Modeling Online Presence in Bizer C. and Anupam J., Proceedings of the Poster and Demonstration Session at the 7th International Semantic Web Conference (ISWC2008) Karlsruhe, Germany, October 28, 2008. pdf (Honorable Mention at ISWC2008, among best 3 posters)
- Stankovic, M., Krcadinac, U., Kovanovic, V. & Jovanovic, J. (2008). An Owerview of Intelligent Software Agents in: Khosrow-Pour, M. (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Information Science and Technology, 2 nd Edition , Idea Group International Publishing
- Krcadinac, U., Stankovic, M., Kovanovic, V. & Jovanovic, J. (2008). Intelligent Multi-Agent Systems in: Carteli, A. & Palma, M. (Eds.). Encyclopedia of Information Communication Technology , Idea Group International Publishing
- Stankovic, M. & Krcadinac, U. (2007). New Light on Information Agents, Informer (24), British Computer Society – Information Retrieval Specialist Group, pdf